Colonial America and the early US was a very unequal place. All the good, cleared, level agricultural land with easy access to transport was owned by a very few, very wealthy white men. Many poor whites were brought over as indentured servants, but having completed their periods of forced labor, allowing them to hang around the towns and cities landless and unemployed was dangerous to the social order. So they were given guns and credit, and sent inland to make their own fortunes, encroaching upon the orchards, farms and hunting grounds of Native Americans, who had little or no access to firearms. The law, of course did not penalize white men who robbed, raped or killed Indians. At regular intervals, colonial governors and local US officials would muster the free armed white men as militia, and dispatch them in murderous punitive raids to make the frontier safer for settlers and land speculators.
Slavery remained legal in New England, New York and the mid-Atlantic region till well into the 1800s, and the movements of free blacks and Indians were severely restricted for decades afterward. So colonial and early American militia also prowled the roads and highways demanding the passes of all non-whites, to ensure the enslaved were not escaping or aiding those who were, and that free blacks were not plotting rebellion or traveling for unapproved reasons.
Historically then, the principal activities of the Founding Fathers’ “well regulated militia” were Indian killing, land stealing, slave patrolling and the enforcement of domestic apartheid, all of these, as the Constitutional language declares “being necessary to the security of a free state.” A free state whose fundamental building blocks were the genocide of Native Americans, and the enslavement of Africans.
The Constitutional sanction of universally armed white men against blacks and Indians is at the origin of what has come to be known as America’s “gun culture,” and it neatly explains why that culture remains most deeply rooted in white, rural and small-town America long after the end of slavery and the close of the frontier. With the genocide of Native Americans accomplished and slavery gone, America’s gun culture wrapped itself in new clothing, in self-justifying mythology that construes the Second Amendment as arming the citizenry as final bulwark of freedom against tyranny, invasion or crime. Embracing this fake history of the Second Amendment warps legal scholarship and public debate in clouds of willful ignorance, encouraging us to believe this is a nation founded on just and egalitarian principles rather than one built with stolen labor on stolen land.
This is so misleading, misguided and probably intellectually dishonest.
Blacks and slaves, especially on the frontier were stripped of their right to bear arms after-the-fact. From racist politicians, to fearful slave owners, backed by the Dred Scott decision and then by the new government of the Confederate States. Whites weren’t armed to suppress blacks, blacks were disarmed so they couldn’t fight back. The racist origins of disarmament isn’t just a product of the 1800’s.
The British tried to disarm the colonists. The Communists disarmed the detractors, the Nazis disarmed the Germans, and Ronald Reagan disarmed the Black Panthers.
I’d think a website called the Black Agenda Report would have a clue about the racist origins of Gun Control.
People like this make me sad about life.
- marskittlesglitter reblogged this from inthenameofyeezusipray
- tansytea reblogged this from librariansoul
- jjbsoul reblogged this from warcrimenancydrew
- tashkil13 likes this
- delarealidadd reblogged this from mochente
- walkearth reblogged this from decolonizeyourmind
- rrruuuiii likes this
- lilgodzilla reblogged this from iamwhateveryoubelieve
- rigourofthevicious likes this
- yukinojou likes this
- junebug-skipping reblogged this from whatpeterickdidinthedark
- gettingtothechurchontime reblogged this from decolonizeyourmind
- allcometolookforamerica likes this
- cntrovrc likes this
- themattachine likes this
- verdigrisfemme likes this
- marinareise likes this
- lilcumdrip likes this
- ihavevividreams likes this
- 4tenpointfive likes this
- blackfeatherpsychonaut likes this
- sunbeaminajar likes this
- ohbrae likes this
- soulbeautyx reblogged this from inthenameofyeezusipray
- soulbeautyx likes this
- hannibal-lecters-chef likes this
- castillolaw likes this
- teoka likes this
- monetizeyourcat likes this
- thepleasureofthesierramadre reblogged this from cunt-meister
- revengeissimple likes this
- 9-9n likes this
- despierta-corazon-dormido likes this
- reverse-the-polarity likes this
- gallifreyanturtles likes this
- infiniteeternalove likes this
- nadakay likes this
- whatpeterickdidinthedark reblogged this from escapedfrommymind
- escapedfrommymind reblogged this from laluneveillesureux
- fuxxee likes this
- genuphobia reblogged this from librariansoul
- sunrec likes this
- librariansoul reblogged this from cunt-meister
- librariansoul likes this
- polairekillsyou likes this
- iguessthatscool likes this
- inthenameofyeezusipray reblogged this from lasiguanaba
- reinsurreccion likes this
- lasiguanaba reblogged this from warcrimenancydrew