I don’t think I agree.
If you think about the inter-connectivity of the Fed, the fiat dollar, the world’s reserve currency, the petrodollars and the wars we fight to maintain the hierarchy and value of the dollar, you realize that all of it is connected right back to how the dollar and it’s valuation is the foundation of our imperialism.
But I agree that as American citizens, we do, somewhat, benefit from the US Dollar.
While I do think our wars are imperialistic, I don’t think that they are used to maintain our position as the world’s reserve currency. The dollar being the world’s reserve currency really follows Bretton Woods and the second world war. The dollar stays strong because of the weakness of other currencies.
The dollar is still staying strong thanks to the failures of the Eurozone and the Euro as a currency.
That being said, we benefit greatly from having a vehicle currency. That keeps our country from being Greece with our near 100% Debt:GDP ratio.
But the dollar is used as the currency of trade for most all trade, including almost all oil transactions.
Just look at the history of which OPEC or Oil rich countries decided to stop selling oil in dollars and which countries we’ve invaded over the past 15 years.
Iraq - Euro, Libya - Gold/Rum, Iran - Gold (Currently selling to India and China in gold instead of dollars).
Then there’s America consistently trying to get involved in Africa because the Chinese have already moved in and are quickly making allies and raking in resources.
The real problem is that our dollar, like you said, is based on the strength of the country, both economic and military. This means that we must continuously flex our muscles and take over emergent markets to keep the dollar strong. If not, we just become another run of the mill, Western currency.
You don’t see this system as a problem?
- sugashane reblogged this from michaelangerlo and added:
- brightesthourdarkestday reblogged this from priceofliberty
- live-life-differently reblogged this from priceofliberty
- lordchuckle likes this
- michaelangerlo reblogged this from sugashane and added:
- semper-spes-est reblogged this from priceofliberty and added:
- priceofliberty reblogged this from hella-voluntaryism
- hella-voluntaryism reblogged this from priceofliberty and added:
- priceofliberty likes this
- live-life-differently likes this
- pauliorra likes this
- flightandsundry likes this
- allmarketsbecomeblack reblogged this from sugashane