I find it funny that most of the people that want to ban guns in America are in full support of the Arab spring and the movement to liberate Palestine as well as the liberation of any oppressed people around the world.
I wholeheartedly support these freedom movements as well but I have a question for the gun-ban advocates in my country, how do you think these people were freed in the Middle East? Do you think they just asked for liberty and their decades-long dictators agreed on the grounds that they had ruled, killed and stolen for long enough? Or do you think the people took up arms and fought for their freedom?
So tell me then how you think people who are rendered weaponless and therefore defenseless would defeat a government who’s armed to the teeth and is willing to continue to kill in order to defend their unjust position of power.
And tell me why you believe that an oppressive government will never exist in America when only a few hundred years ago we fought a revolution against such a government on this very soil.— More thoughts on Gun Control
150 Achievements Of Liberalism That Conservatives Seek To Destroy
According to virtually any conservative today, the government has been just one big liberal establishment. The current extremists that own and operate the GOP are hell bent on destroying anything and everything that even has a hint of liberalism or progressivism in it, even if Republicans helped pass it. So what would America be like without liberals and progressives? Here is a list of programs, legislation, and achievements that we would not have if extreme right wingers had their way. Some items on this list were indeed passed or created by Republicans, but that doesn’t make them conservative achievements. It only means that at one time, Republicans favored liberalism and progressivism or that they were willing to work with Democrats for the common good.
1. The 40-hour work week.
4. Women’s Voting Rights
5. The Civil Rights Act of 1964
6. The right of people of all colors to use schools and facilities.
7. Public schools.
8. Child-labor laws.
9. The right to unionize
10. Health care benefits
11. National Parks
12. National Forests
13. Interstate Highway System
14. GI Bill
15. Labor Laws/Worker’s Rights
16. Marshall Plan
18. Direct election of Senators by the people.
19. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Workplace safety laws
20. Social Security
22. The Office of Congressional Ethics. Created in 2008.
23. The Internet
24. National Weather Service
25. Product Labeling/Truth in Advertising Laws
26. Rural Electrification/Tennessee Valley Authority
27. Morrill Land Grant Act
28. Public Universities
29. Bank Deposit Insurance
30. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
31. Consumer Product Safety Commission
32. Public Broadcasting/Educational Television
33. Americans With Disabilities Act
34. Family and Medical Leave Act
35. Environmental Protection Agency
36. Clean Air Act
37. Clean Water Act
39. Public Libraries
40. Transcontinental Railroad and the rail system in general
41. Civilian Conservation Corps
42. Panama Canal
43. Hoover Dam
44. The Federal Reserve
46. The United States Military
49. Local and state police departments
50. Fire Departments
51. Veterans Medical Care
52. Food Stamps
53. Federal Housing Administration
54. Extending Voting Rights to 18 year olds
55. Freedom of Speech
56. Freedom of Religion/Separation of Church and State
57. Right to Due Process
58. Freedom of The Press
59. Right to Organize and Protest
60. Pell Grants and other financial aid to students
61. Federal Aviation Administration/Airline safety regulations
62. The 13th Amendment
63. The 14th Amendment
64. The 15th Amendment
65. Unemployment benefits
66. Women’s Health Services
67. Smithsonian Institute
68. Head Start
70. Mine Safety And Health Administration (This has been weakened by conservatives, resulting in recent mining disasters.)
71. Food Labeling
73. Peace Corps
74. United Nations
75. World Health Organization
76. Nuclear Treaties
77. Lincoln Tunnel
78. Sulfur emissions cap and trade to eliminate acid rain
79. Earned Income Tax Credit
80. The banning of lead in consumer products
81. National Institute of Health
82. Garbage pickup/clean streets
83. Banning of CFCs.
84. Erie Canal
87. Bail Out of the American Auto Industry
88. Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
89. Wildlife Protection
90. End of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell
91. Established the basis for Universal Human Rights by writing the Declaration of Independence
92. Miranda Rights
93. Banning of torture
94. The right to a proper defense in court
95. An independent judiciary
96. The right to vote
97. Fair, open, and honest elections
98. The right to bear arms (Do you really think extreme right wingers would allow anybody besides themselves to have firearms if in power?)
99. Health care for children and pregnant women
100. A stable and strong government established by a Constitution
101. The founding of The United States of America
102. The defeat of the Nazis and victory in World War II
104. The Brady Handgun Act
105. The Glass-Steagall Act (It has since been repealed and we’ve been paying the price for it.)
106. Oil industry regulations (The Gulf paid the price after conservatives tore many of these regulations down.)
107. The Affordable Care Act which makes insurance companies more honest and fair.
108. Woman’s Right to Choose
109. Title IX
110. Affirmative Action
111. A National Currency
112. National Science Foundation
113. Weights and measures standards
114. Vehicle Safety Standards
116. The income tax and power to tax in general, which have been used to pay for much of this list.
117. 911 Emergency system
118. Tsunami, hurricane, tornado, and earthquake warning systems
119. Public Transportation
120. The Freedom of Information Act
121. Emancipation Proclamation, which ended slavery
122. Antitrust legislation which prevents corporate monopolies (These laws have been savaged by conservatives, which is why corporations are getting huger and competition is disappearing leading to less jobs and high prices.)
123. Water Treatment Centers and sewage systems
124. The Meat Inspection Act
125. The Pure Food And Drug Act
126. The Bretton Woods system
127. International Monetary Fund
128. SEC, which regulates Wall Street. (Conservatives have weakened this regulatory body, resulting in the current recession.)
129. National Endowment for the Arts
130. Campaign finance laws (Conservatives have gutted these laws, leading to corporate takeovers of elections.)
131. Federal Crop Insurance
132. United States Housing Authority
133. Soil Conservation
134. School Lunch Act
135. Mental Retardation Facilities and Community Mental Health Centers Construction Act
136. Vaccination Assistance Act
137. Over the course of nearly 50 years, liberals contributed greatly to the eventual end of the Cold War.
138. The creation of counterinsurgency forces such as the Navy Seals and Green Berets.
139. Voting Rights Act, which ended poll taxes, literacy tests, and other voter qualification tests.
140. Civil Rights Act of 1968
141. Job Corps
142. Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965
143. Teacher Corps
144. National Endowment for the Humanities
145. Endangered Species Preservation Act of 1966
146. National Trails System Act of 1968
147. U.S. Postal Service
148. Title X
149. Kept the Union together through Civil War and rebuilt the South afterwards.
150. Modern Civilization
It is safe to assume that if the current breed of Republicans had their way, ALL of the above list would have never happened. The fact is, the people need government. Government protects the people from the greedy power hungry hands of the wealthy, especially when liberals are in power. The corporations and extremists that own the Republicans today will always only do what is profitable to themselves, and would also get rid of most of the things on this list. So, the next time a conservative complains about all those “socialist” liberals, remind them of what liberals have accomplished. Any conservative that claims anything on this list as a conservative achievement would be a hypocrite. Conservatives would lead us back to the Dark Ages. Liberals and liberal ideals have time and time again, led the way to a brighter future for everyone.LOL, this list
Without really diving into this list let me point out some terrible stuff and some misleading stuff and even some outright lies.
Okay, so I decided to dive into it.
4, 5, and 6 - Rights: Liberals didn’t “create” human rights. No one “creates” human rights. They are rights because they are there for all, regardless of the existence of gov’t or even people to exercise those rights.
7. Public Schools: The one thing that’s most responsible for destroying our youth, turning them into zombies and dumbing down America? Why would ANYONE want credit for this?
11 & 12. National Parks & Forests: Umm… Teddy Roosevelt, a REPUBLICAN President, founded 5 National Parks, 18 National Monuments and 150 National Forests. You were saying?
17. FDA: Oh, the people that allow for arsenic feed chicken to be sold to us? Or the people that allow Monsanto to plunder farms and monopolize the DNA of food. The same people that allow chicken shit (yes, the arsenic laden kind) to be fed to cows? The same FDA that gives large corporations power over farmers and yet won’t allow people to buy whatever milk they want? This is a positive thing? Who knew!
18. Direct election of Senators by the people: I don’t know if this is a good or bad thing. But I do know that Federal Senators were supposed to be elected by State Legislature to make sure that the States and their RIGHTS were represented in the Federal Government. The founding fathers wanted it that way so the Federal Gov’t wouldn’t grow too big and that States would always retain their rights and freedoms. So, I guess I answered my own question. This is a bad thing.
20. Social Security: Oh, you mean that Ponzi scheme that’s broke? The entire concept of Social Security is that the next generation’s work force that pays into Social Security will be larger than the previous one. So when the previous one retires, the new generation will fund their retirement. Let’s forget the fact that population might not always grow or grow fast enough to overcome the fact that people live longer thanks to the always advancing modern science. But that would be too logical. The people that believe that Social Security had a chance live in an unrealistic world, where everything goes to plan.
21. NASA: Pretty sure NASA has no political affiliation. I will say this much, Buzz Aldrin and Harrison Schmitt are Republicans. Neil Armstrong is in support of State’s Rights. Take that for what you will.
22. The Internet: Contrary to what you believe, Al Gore did not invent the internets. Sorry to break it to you, but it was created by scientists, private firms and military. I’m pretty sure this group included Conservatives and Liberals. Perhaps even some communists and socialists.
40. Transcontinental Railroad and the rail system in general: BWHAHAHHA! Really? I mean reallllly? Go to the midway point of this video to learn a lesson or three. In fact, watch the entire thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vw6uF2LdZw
42. Panama Canal: Was started by the French in 1880. Teddy Roosevelt took over after. Did I mention that Teddy was a Republican? Besides, I’m pretty sure the 1,000s of people that actually built the canal weren’t all liberals.
43. Hoover Dam: It’s in the name for the love of all things. HERBERT HOOVER. Started the Dam project in 1931. They named it after him. He was, you guessed it, a Republican President.
44. The Federal Reserve: You really don’t want credit for this. Trust me. You really, really don’t. The Fed has been stealing wealth from the American people and government for nearly 100 years. A group of PRIVATE banks, posing under the name “Federal” to give themselves some credibility. They take a cut on the money they supply to us (our own money!) and turn around and print and supply our money to foreign banks, governments and companies. All of this, mind you, leads to more inflation, more devaluation and more theft from American citizens.
45. Medicare: See point #20 above.
46. The United States Military: O Rly?
48. CIA: Google “Blowback”
54 to 59: See above. No one “creates” rights.
I kind of lost interest in this since so many points were seemingly pulled out of a dead donkey’s ass.
91. Established the basis for Universal Human Rights by writing the Declaration of Independence: Again, no one establishes these rights. They are ours by the simple fact that we are born. And the Deceleration of Independence was penned by Thomas Jefferson, a conservative and a State’s Rights advocate.
98. The right to bear arms (Do you really think extreme right wingers would allow anybody besides themselves to have firearms if in power?): Oh boy. Well, let me tell you this much, China, USSR, N.Korea, etc. All as left as can be. All banned guns in order to control the masses and kill people without any resistance. Yes, extremes on the Right, Authoritarians, are just as bad, such as the NAZI party. But I’d say if we’re talking about everyday liberals and conservatives, the right is far and above pro-gun compared to the left. I don’t think most sane people would even argue this. The Left has been trying to ban guns for the better half of a century.
100. A stable and strong government established by a Constitution: O, Rly?
101. The founding of The United States of America: No, Rly?
104. The Brady Handgun Act: So first, the Liberals LOVES THEM GUNS! And then you want to give them credit for trying take all our guns away? Pick a side and stick with it. It’s easier to lie that way.
111. A National Currency: Civilizations have had national currencies for 1,000s of years. Try again.
116. The income tax and power to tax in general, which have been used to pay for much of this list: I’m going to prove you wrong and then prove why you’re wrong while still being wrong, ready? #1 Lincoln, a Republican, the first actually, created our very first Federal Income Tax in 1861. So you’re wrong about WHO did this. #2, Federal Income Tax, and all taxes, are a ridiculous way to do anything. As it’s been said before, it’s like trying to stand in a bucket and lift yourself up from the handle. The Federal Income tax shortly went away once the bills for the Civil War were paid for but then they tried to bring it back. In 1890 the Supreme Court declares Federal income Tax to be unconstitutional (which was the correct judgement). It’s brought back upon us during the Wilsonian era, this is when the Socialists/Communist movement of America really started. We established the IRS and the Federal Reserve and slowly took away sound money, such as gold and silver and converted humans into collateral through marriage and birth certificates which we turned around and leveraged to the private banks that now owned the Federal Reserve and out currency. This one point of yours might have been the WORST by far.
137. Over the course of nearly 50 years, liberals contributed greatly to the eventual end of the Cold War: Speaking from how history views it, Ronald Reagan, the GOP’s poster child, defeated the USSR and ended the Cold War. Speaking from a technical (read: truthful) perspective, what really ended the Cold War and the USSR was the fact that they went broke from funding all of the wars and social programs (the same social programs listed above). Guess which direction the United States is headed, both social and fiscal policy? Coincidence? I think not.
149. Kept the Union together through Civil War and rebuilt the South afterwards: You mean Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican President, did all of that, right?
150. Modern Civilization: Pretty sure civilization, collectively, created this.
I can’t believe I went through this list, but it was too ridiculous of a list for me not to go through. I skipped a lot of these simply for the fact that I’d like to go easy on the timeline of those that follow me. Otherwise, there’s a concrete counter to everyone of these points.
Oh and for the record, I don’t like the GOP.